For foreigners that wish to enter and/or remain in the country with the intention of settling, and do not meet the conditions to apply for the type “R” visa.
To apply for the type “M” visa, you must satisfy one of the following conditions:
- Be the spouse or permanent companion of a Colombian national.
- Be the parent or child of a Colombian national by adoption.
- Be a national of one of the States Parties to the “Agreement on Residency for the States Parties of Mercosur, Bolivia and Chile”.
- Be recognized as a refugee in Colombia, according to current regulations.
- Have employment or long-term employment in Colombia, through a labor relationship or provision of services with a legal or natural person that resides in Colombia.
- Having formed a business company, or invested in the capital stock of a business company for the minimum amounts laid out in the requirements chapter.
- Have the qualifications or expertise required to exercise an independent profession, and meet the financial conditions (listed in the requirements chapter) to do so.
- Visit the country as a member of a religious order (or in training to be one), or a missionary from a church or religious denomination that is duly recognized by the Colombian state.
- Be admitted or enrolled in elementary, secondary or middle school studies, or an undergraduate higher education program of an educational institution in Colombia.
- Have made direct foreign investment in property in Colombia, for the amounts listed in the requirements chapter.
- Receive a pension due to retirement, or receive periodical income from a provable legal source, for the amounts detailed in the requirements chapter.